11.02.2010

Acorn Sqush Stuffed with Quinoa Pilaf and Smoked Tempeh
























When you get all your vegetables at the farmer's market, fall is a time for squash, squash and more squash. Roasted or in pasta (as last week), mashed with nutmeg, maple syrup, lemon juice and sweet potatoes, there are infinite possibilities.


The idea for the following recipe came from my mom--I asked her for the recipe (as I remembered the dish she made so well), but she had no memory of making it. Together we tried to make it up again, and it turned out quite well.

























My lovely cooking partner made smoked tempeh (marinated in liquid smoke, I think soy sauce and some garlic...I'll have to ask for the recipe!)--it was the best tempeh I ever had.

Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed with Quinoa Pilaf

























  • Acorn squash (1/2-1 squash per person, depending on size of squash)
  • Quinoa (again, however much you want to make...)
  • Onions (1 small-1 large)
  • Apples (1-2 medium)
  • Walnuts, chopped (a few tablespoons)
  • Raisins (~1/4 c--again, this is to taste)
  • 1 tbs cinnamon (I did this to taste...)
  • 2 tsp cumin (to taste) 
For the squash
Cut squash in half vertically. Scoop out the seeds, and place cut side down on a lightly oiled piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Bake squash for ~30-35 minutes at 350º (until tender--I use a fork to check).


For the quinoa pilaf


In a pan, sauté onions in olive oil. Once the onions are tender, clear and browning, add apples and cook until beginning to soften. Add cinnamon, cumin, and walnuts. Add a tiny amount of oil as well as the onion, nut, raisin mixture to pot (where you will cook quinoa) and sauté quinoa grains (you can add more spices here if you like). Add water to quinoa, bring back to boil and then turn down heat and cover pot. Let quinoa steam for recommended cooking time (17 min I believe). 5 minutes before done, add apples. (I sauteed mine with the onions, and they steamed so long with the quinoa they came out a little mushy--this should work I think). Add any more cumin/cinnamon to pilaf, depending on how much flavor you want.


Stuff quinoa into acorn squash, sprinkle with cinnamon and put back in the oven to warm just before serving.

The extra quinoa pilaf makes for great leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment