4.09.2012

Raspberry Blackberry Coconut Macaroons


As I thought about what to make for Passover this year, I came upon SmittenKitchen's Raspberry Coconut Macaroons.

As usual, I stumbled upon the recipe at 10 pm at night. I looked in the closet--I had an almost full 14 oz bag of coconut. I'll just halve the recipe, I thought. I was pretty sure I had some frozen berries, so I began to throw ingredients in the blender.

After putting in the three egg whites, I realized that I hadn't actually halved the recipe.  Oops!  I didn't have any fresh berries, so ignoring the advice not to use frozen berries, I threw in a small handful of frozen blackberries and raspberries (filling the palm of my hand, but not much more than that). I also used vanilla extract instead of almond. I didn't marble them as Deb suggested (another--"oops, too late!" moment so familiar to the impatient cook), but the pinkish-purple color was pretty anyway.

They took five minutes to make (plus another 30 in the oven), and were so delicious that they begged the question "Why the hell don't I make these more often?!"

The raspberries and blackberries gave a delicious tangy flavor that didn't let the coconut overwhelm the flavor of the macaroon.

I made them again the next day, after going to the grocery store to grab two more bags of coconut. I doubled the recipe and then drizzled chocolate on top.

Here's my version (adapted very slightly) of her recipe:

  • 14 oz sweetened, flaked coconut
  • 2/3 c sugar
  • 3 egg whites (I added an extra half egg white when I doubled the recipe)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • slight dash almond extract (optional--I did it without the first time and they were delicious!)
  • small handful frozen raspberries and blackberries (I would say maybe 10-12 berries total?)

Pulse the coconut in the Cuisinart for a minute or so.  Add the sugar and pulse again until mixed together. Pour in the egg whites, vanilla extract, almond extract (if using), and salt. Pulse again, and then lastly add the berries.  Mix together; the batter will be pretty wet, but it holds together! Bake at 325ยบ for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are tinged with golden brown and look a bit drier.

Drizzle with melted semisweet chocolate chips--this makes the macaroons look almost like fancy truffles!


No comments:

Post a Comment