6.22.2012

Pasta with Zucchini and Lemon (and other summer adventures)


I have been told by many that this, the summer between college and medical school, is The Last Summer (or something like that). While I'll have a few months off next year, there are research opportunities and clinical experiences to be had. After that, summers disappear, perhaps only resurfacing when life looks quite different.

I decided to make this summer the most perfect summer, balanced between traveling, relaxing, and, yes,  cooking. I went on a road trip with my best friend from college, exploring Brooklyn, Niagara Falls, Toronto and Rochester (where I'll be next year).

We found an adorable restaurant in the East Village that had amazing food for low prices--unheard of in NY. They served water in Mason jars with handles and had antique-y furniture. Definitely going back next time....

I'm at the beach with family, sipping mojitos and eating the Catch of the Day from Willis' Seafood Market every night. (Not to mention devouring Ruth Reichl's hilarious memoir Tender to the Bone).

My corgi mix loves the beach

Next I'm off to Europe to visit family and friends (it has been suggested that I create a new blog for my post-graduate adventures titled "Owl at Large"....).

-----

There's something particular about summer cooking, also known as "What to do with all the zucchini?! " Oh, that prolific vegetable that is nearly sickening by the end of the summer (I heard someone joke once that they started leaving yellow squash on people's porches and then running away--"Take it! Please!! I have too much!!").

Lemon and zucchini go particularly well together, and this recipe is adapted from a recipe by a favorite chef of mine, Jack Bishop.

Pasta with Zucchini and Lemon



Boil water for pasta. Cut zucchini into matchsticks: slice thin pieces diagonally, and then cut across the diagonal slices to make the "matchsticks". Sauté the matchsticks with olive oil and lemon juice (add a bit of lemon zest for extra zing). Bishop adds mint, which I put in only if I have it readily available. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over good pasta with parmesan cheese.



And maybe some mojitos.


No comments:

Post a Comment