5.20.2012

Mulberry Peach Cobbler



So, I graduated from college one week ago today.  It's still completely surreal, but the feeling of summer is starting to seep in, one strawberry at a time.


***

In this age of ever-present technological devices equipped with the ability to just "Google it", there seems to be little exploring to do.  Once upon a time, finding "the nearest coffee shop" or a "café with local food for lunch" had the potential to be a whole adventure...it always seems as though you can find anything you would ever need by just looking it up on the internet.

That is, except mulberry trees.  While driving the other day, I saw the familiar sight of a black and purple splotched sidewalk below a leafy tree laden with mulberries. I would have stopped the car to pick a few, but I was on my way home and the tree was in someone's yard. Where, I thought to myself, are other good mulberry trees in Durham? I laughed when I realized that this, if anything, was certainly not Google-able.

When I went to the farmer's market with my mother this morning, there was a big mulberry tree, ripe with fruit, hanging over the path from the parking lot down to the market.


After our shopping (and a delicious strawberry crostada from Scratch bakery), we stopped by to pick mulberries.

***

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to make cobblers. They are so, so unbelievably easy that they can be an almost instant desert. They highlight whatever fruit is in season at the market (or can be made in the middle of winter with a bag of frozen fruit for a nostalgic trip back to June).

At the market this morning, we bought fresh NC peaches in addition to many other gorgeous veggies that I can't wait to cook this week.


A cobbler is really only 4 steps.


  1. Preheat oven to 375º.
  2. Cut up fruit (in this case, 4-5 smallish peaches and then just throw in a cup or so of mulberries) and toss with juice of 1 lemon and a handful of brown sugar (maybe 1/3 c?).
  3. Sprinkle oats and brown sugar on top.
  4. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Serve warm, maybe even with vanilla ice cream on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment