8.04.2012

Chocolate Sorbet with Dark Chocolate Chips and Cherries


I am finally, finally, moved into my new house.  It's a sweet little home very close to the hospital (less than a five minute walk!).

And I am in love, I tell you, in love with my kitchen.


It's not a perfect kitchen. There's not a lot of counter space, it's an electric stove (so, not gas), and pantry space is limited. But it's white, full of light, and has tons of character. Those of you that know me have to remember that I've been collecting things for my kitchen for years--a set of handblown Mexican glasses with blue and green rims, an assorted collection of vintage Pyrex and china plates, a gorgeous 10" cast-iron frying pan (all of this from thrift/antique stores---the best kind of place to buy quality kitchen stuff for cheap!). Family and friends have also helped out--especially my mother--a set of hand sewn cloth napkins, white Pottery Barn dishes and bowls (also a thrift store find), and that treasured turquoise Le Creuset pot....


I have finally gotten to fulfill all of my kitchen decorating fantasies---and past the decorating? I get to use it. This morning I got a whole bunch of fruits and veggies at the farmer's market, filling my fridge and open pantry shelves. 


The only big negative about the house? No air conditioning. In today's 90º heat, all I wanted to make was ice cream. And as luck (and wonderful friends) has it, another graduation gift was a Cuisinart electric and automatic ice cream maker!


I've been wanting to try Deb's chocolate sorbet forever, and the fresh cherries from the market seemed like a perfect addition. Here is my (very slight) adaptation of her recipe that I made with my new roommates!

Chocolate Sorbet with Dark Chocolate Chips and Cherries
  • 3 oz semisweet chocolate
  • 3 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 3/4 c cocoa powder
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 1/4 c water
  • 1/4 c chopped cherries
  • 1/4 or 1/2 c dark chocolate chocolate chips
Deb says about the first few steps: "In a large saucepan (yes, you must use a large one or it will bubble over. Trust me.), whisk together 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of the water with the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Let it boil, continuing to whisk, for 45 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until it’s melted, then stir in the vanilla extract and the remaining 3/4 cup (180 ml) water."

Blend the mixture (I used my immersion blender--I think if you can spare the $20 they are AWESOME and 100% worth having), then chill it for a few hours. After it is cool, pour it into your ice cream maker for 25 minutes or so. During the time it was in my electric ice cream maker, I added the cherries and chocolate chips. Freeze the whole mixture for another few hours until it reaches your desired consistency.

Deliciously addictive, cold chocolate sorbet with farmers market cherries, and made in my new kitchen? That is (and this is cheesy) the cherry on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment