8.06.2012

Raw Carrot and Beet Salad


A good friend of mine used to make this salad in the co-op I lived in during my last two years of college.  It was such a wonderful shift from roasted beets (which I love, but sometimes got tired of) that I begged her for the recipe before graduation. I made it for my new roommates the other night, and they loved it!

It is fresh, gingery and sweet (but not too much so). It is good the night of, and the next day. With the grating attachment of a food processor, it takes five minutes!

  • Equal amounts carrots and beets (maybe 4 beets, 5 small-med carrots), grated (I usually don't peel them, just wash them well)
  • 1 or 2 apples, grated 
  • 1/2 tbs powdered ginger (or more if you like)
  • 1-2 tbs lemon juice
  • 3 tbs agave or honey

Mix together the grated apple, carrots and beets. Add the lemon juice, honey and ginger and toss together. If you like, add coconut or raisins.


No comments:

Post a Comment